Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Protocols

Status
Not open for further replies.

WFComm

Technical User
Jan 7, 2009
US
Any of you ccna wiz kids have any quick ways or usefull tips to remembering the different protocols? Man it can be alot lol!!!

Like what...IP, TCP, UDP, ETC?

Todd---time for the funny acronym things...the ones with whores, or something...

/

you just love the "women laugh at me" one don't you?

oh..remembering the protocols is nothing....just wait until you get the list of acronyms. Especially when they start to overlap.

WFComm,

Just as they said above, no easy way, the more you work with it, read about it, post about it and "Google" it - the more it will become second nature.

When I see something new, such as a protocol, an acronym or command etc. I Google it and read more about it, that will lead to posts and discussions about the subject and in some cases a free book chapter or even a video on the subject.

I always told my students on the first day of class to get a roll of duct tape because they will feel like their heads will explode with EVERYTHING it seems you have got to remember!

Good luck!!

E.A. Broda
CCNA, CCDA, CCAI, Network +

Yea we just finished up ospf ! Rip seemed pretty easy. Eigrp is the one that is kinda getting me. Ospf seems allright but Im sure I will forget it all tomorrow lol!!

At the CCNA level, they aren't too bad to remember. CCNP, they get harder because they start getting more in depth.

CiscoGuy is right though, just keep reading through it a few times and it does sink in.

Yeah---wait until ABR, stubs networks, the different OSPF messages, etc. I recommend Gorilla Tape, from the makers of Gorilla Glue. Great stuff...at $10.xx a roll, it's well worth it...

/

When I was working on this, I created a spreadsheet with all the different settings, etc. It worked for me, just taking it all out of the book and re-writing into a format I could understand and organize.

iolair,

Good point - it ALWAYS helps to rewrite or retype things when you are trying to remember them. I always typed up my notes after class - reinforced what I wrote down in the lecture.

E.A. Broda
CCNA, CCDA, CCAI, Network +

Not only that, but practice writing out your little "cheat sheet". I'd figure out the information I wanted to have ready for reference when going through the test, then practice getting it put down on paper. Would have a master copy, that I knew was correct and could check myself.

The brain dump like that onto the dry-erase board helps...even if you don't use it.

I always wanted to get to the top of the Eigerp, but never got to Grundenwald. Its supposed to be pretty spectacular. I did take the train from Zurich via Basel to Milan. That was moderately jaw-dropping.

[the other] Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back