Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Protocols up and up but cannot ping

Status
Not open for further replies.

Psychia7

Technical User
Sep 5, 2007
US
Sorry for the newb question but its always a problem I had in class and I haven't touched a router in 5 months and am totally lost while messing with packet tracer. What might the problem be if I have connectivity but cannot ping router to router? Using RIP.

What type of cable are you using?

Humans are not proud of their ancestors, and rarely invite them round to dinner.
Douglas Adams

What interface? If it is serial, did you set a clock rate on the DCE end? You don't need and routing protocol for directly connected interfaces. If line protocol is up (layer 2), then look at layer 3 (IP addresses). If they are connected via ethernet, you need a crossover. If they are connected via serial, you still need a crossover, but a DB-60 to DB-60, DTE/DCE.

Burt

If your interface is up/up and you still can't ping from one interface to another directly-connected interface then you either have a bad cable or your IP addressing is misconfigured.

And, as Burt mentioned, the routing protocol is irrelevant when you're talking about directly connected devices.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back