Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

protocol buffers

Status
Not open for further replies.

tedsmith

Programmer
Nov 23, 2000
AU
Is there a way of decoding a stream of data with vb6 that is written using Google Protocol Buffers (Protobuf)?

There is a lot of extremely general information written about it in circular language but nothing that tells you exactly how it is basically structured that I could find.

It appears that the structure of the data is sent ahead of the data so changes to the structure automatically are updated without changing the Vb6 code with future changes.

Examples are published using a few other languages but nothing I can find using vb6.

I was hoping someone else had figured it out for vb6 by now?

So when you said you "would have no trouble decoding and handling the data" in thread222-1741135 you didn't quite mean it? I assumed that you already knew about GPB when you said that.

OK, step one is that you need a .proto file ...

And then explains exactly how the buffers are encoded.

Good luck.

no - too complicated and over the top for this use.
I got the client to put the data on the site as a CSV string instead! Its only about 40k.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back