Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Protocol Analysis for Cisco Routers

Status
Not open for further replies.

lberdick

IS-IT--Management
Jun 20, 2002
US
Hey Guys,

Is their any function, software, MIB record, SNMP query or something that can display the distribution of upper level (layers 5-7)protocols that flow in and out of my routers. I have a mixed configuration of routers that include 1604, 2610, and 3640 routers. Im trying to do some analysis for bandwidth increase justification and I would like to know what type of traffic is flowing in and out. BTW, we use a frame relay topology with external CSU's for each location(s).

I appreciate the help

Thanks,
Lee

You can use flowscan or set up the cflowd daemon in order to retrieve flows, coming from the routers, then, you can go ahead and use rrd + mrtg to generate the reports.
That's going to give a lot of info regarding source, destination IP's, type of traffic, amount of traffic, etc...

Hope this helps,
vlan52
[sunshine]

Thanks Guys - I already use MRTG to do most of my analysis and can easlily conclude that they need a bandwidth increase. With MRTG and RDDtool the setup and custom configuration is...well...not exactly straightforward. I'll try to do some configuring with those tools using a differnt setup.

Any websites out there that helps with MRTG and RRDtool?

Thanks Again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back