Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Protection fault while trying to print from Internet

Status
Not open for further replies.

kvfelton

Technical User
Jun 4, 2001
US
While trying to print documents from the Internet, the following error message keeps poping up:

"Function address 0x78010497 cased a protection fault (exception code 0x0000005). Some or all property page(s) may not be displayed."

I have tried looking the error up on many knowlege bases, but no luck. Does anyone know what this error message means and how do I remedy the issue?

Thank you in advance.

kvfelton

There was quite a bit of this a year or so ago.
The issue is that the newer drivers, including those pushed through Windows Update assume a registry structure that is not there unless a clean driver installation is done.

This is typical of what the Web shows for the issue: "I spoke with an HP print driver developer and the issue with this is the new driver expects a different data structure than the old driver. The data structure is stored in the registry and will not be deleted until all the printers that use the driver no longer use it and the old driver is deleted from the server. Then install the new driver. I am sure HP will fix this but I did not get any time frame on this.

If you have many printers on the server that use this driver, I like to change all the drivers to an inbox that is not even closely related so you remember the name (make sure no one is printing to the devices so shoot for off peak time). You can only delete the driver when it is no longer in use.

I have had instances when I have to stop the spooler and kill the explorer.exe process in order to unload the driver modules from memory. Add the new driver and change the printers back to the updated module."

Bill Sanderson, MS-MVP Printing, has a rather good description of clearing out old printer drivers here:
Once clean, download and install the newest driver set appropriate for the printer.

Thank you, that is excelnt information, but could this be a problem on the client side? I just recently rebuilt the print server, after it crashed and have fresh installations of all HP drivers. Granted, there are diferent driver versions of similar model printers (e.g. Laserjet 2300n vs. 2300L), but they are all fresh installs. The problem is on only one client's machine.

Do the clean on the client machine. A driver update does not help, as what is required is a completely rebuilt registry structure for the driver. Do the Bruce Sanderson cleanup on the client.

If this is on a client running Windows 2000 Professional, try this:
-open printers folder
-delete all entries
-File menu > Server Properties
-Delete all entries under Drivers tab
-reboot
-reload new printer drivers

Does this process help?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor