Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Protection error message change in Excel?

Status
Not open for further replies.

neiljabba

IS-IT--Management
May 22, 2003
GB
Hello all

Is it possible to change the error displayed when a protected cell in excel is edited?

If its necessary to do this using code thats no problem, although I have tried to record the error in order to see if its possible to change it for a message box.

Many thanks in advance

Neil

I don't think this can be done (but I could be wrong!) as the obvious event to use would be the Worksheet_Change event. However, the warning is fired before the change event and therefore the event never fires.

There may be some obscure API that will allow you to intercept the warning but I've never heard of one.

;-)
If a man says something and there are no women there to hear him, is he still wrong? [ponder]
How do I get the best answers?

I doubt you can trap the error

You could turn off protection and use the change event to control what can and cannot be done to a sheet but there are ALWAYS ways of getting round it.....

Rgds, Geoff

"Having been erased. the document thjat you are seeking. Must now be retyped"

Please read FAQ222-2244 before you ask a question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back