Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Protecting fields in a form

Status
Not open for further replies.

hbrady99

Technical User
May 7, 2003
US
I need to find out how lock the choices in a dropdown field (ex- company names that need to remain standard in the database for reporting purposes). I would also need to be able to add new choices to the field (i.e. new companies), but have that choice locked once saved. Can someone help me do this???

Locking the fields is pretty easy...the combo box has a "limit to list" property...just change that setting to "yes". As for adding to the list...it depends on what your combo box list comes from. Usually I have a table be the recordsource for the combo box, if this is the case then you can just have a button that brings up the table and lets you enter a new value for the combo box. Hope that helps.

Kevin

HB,

The safest way to "protect" fields is to use an unbound form. That way, you only make the changes when a user has jumped thru all of your hoops.

rollie@bwsys.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back