Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Protecting Cells containing data validation

Status
Not open for further replies.

EliseFreedman

Programmer
Dec 6, 2002
GB
Hi All

I have a spreadsheet on which I am collecting monthly submissions on compliance with various company KPI's. We have it set up so that the spreadsheets for each site are contained in different tabs within a single workbook. When the user opens the spreadsheet I want them to be able to select the site they are doing the submission for and the month they are doing. Only the sheet for their selected site will be shown. I would then like only the month that they are working with to be available for editing. The other month columns should be read only so that they cant be changed. This is the bit im struggling with. I know how to lock a cell normally but not sure how to lock a cell containing data validation based on the value chosen in another drop down box (the month)

Can anyone help

Elsie,

I can't envision the circumstance you are referring to. Can you upload an example of this kind of situation or at least explain it in more detail so we can know how the dv dropdown is/is not working.

Just shooting-from-the-hip, I might use the Worksheet_SelectionChange Event to prevent selection of cells you don't want changed, rather than locking cells. This would entail a means of "remembering" which range was previously selected and returning to that previous range from any forbidden ranges.

Skip,
[sub]
[glasses]Just traded in my OLD subtlety...
for a NUance![tongue][/sub]
"The most incomprehensible thing about the universe is that it is comprehensible" A. Einstein

Elsie, did you get this worked out?

Skip,
[sub]
[glasses]Just traded in my OLD subtlety...
for a NUance![tongue][/sub]
"The most incomprehensible thing about the universe is that it is comprehensible" A. Einstein

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back