Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

protect images from copying

Status
Not open for further replies.

pendle666

Technical User
Jan 30, 2003
GB
Hello

I have a database where the entry is linked to an image for the viewer to look at eg:

However, if the viewer removes the 3.jpg they can see all the images in that folder.

Is there any way to protect this? Whilst all the images are available to the public to look at, I want to avoid someone just leeching the entire site.

thanks

This is not a programming issue. It is an issue of how you have the directories on your website protected. This is something that your ISP or IT person needs to do for you or tell you how to do it. Only someone who has administrator rights to the domain can do it.

mmerlinn

"We've found by experience that people who are careless and sloppy writers are usually also careless and sloppy at thinking and coding. Answering questions for careless and sloppy thinkers is not rewarding." - Eric Raymond

Poor people do not hire employees. If you soak the rich, who are you going to work for?

Its a web server setting, whether it lists directory contents or not. You need to modify that setting and it will be different depending on which Web server is in use. And whether you have access to the configuration or not.

Best would be to talk to your Server Administrator.

----------------------------------
Phil AKA Vacunita
----------------------------------
Ignorance is not necessarily Bliss, case in point:
Unknown has caused an Unknown Error on Unknown and must be shutdown to prevent damage to Unknown.

Behind the Web, Tips and Tricks for Web Development.

Until you get a real solution, however, you can simply drop an index.html file in there with an immediate indirect back to the top level of the website -- or anywhere else for that matter.

[monkey] Edward [monkey]

"Cut a hole in the door. Hang a flap. Criminy, why didn't I think of this earlier?!" -- inventor of the cat door

Argh! I meant an immediate REdirect.

Sorry -- my brain was elsewhere.

[monkey] Edward [monkey]

"Cut a hole in the door. Hang a flap. Criminy, why didn't I think of this earlier?!" -- inventor of the cat door

Hi there,

Thanks for that. I've used the index.html file in each directory and that's working fine.

regards
Pendle

Glad I could help.

If you're feeling mischievous, you can always write the direct to go to the new web page that reads "Hey buddy, you can't be doing that image-leeching thing. Just for that, here's a picture of an Angry Cartoon Character, who strongly disapproves of your actions."

You can kinda do anything with that redirect.

You can redirect them to disney.com

Or more... dangerous locations.

After all, once they try to start sliding stuff out from under you, that's a lot like hanging a sign around their neck saying "I am your plaything!"

[monkey] Edward [monkey]

Edward,

Aren't you being a bit harsh.

I mean, what you're saying is this: If someone means to go to:
but for whatever reason, they go to:
then you want to "punish" them in some way.

What if they simply made a typing error? If they hit Enter before they finished typing the address? Or if some referring site had accidentally left out the last few characters of the address in a link?

Not everyone who stumbles into the folder is doing "image-leeching".

Mike

Visual FoxPro tips, advice, training, consultancy
Custom software for your business

Aren't you being a bit harsh."

I admit, not everyone's into Disney.

[monkey] Edward [monkey]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back