Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Protect Access database from customers/competitors

Status
Not open for further replies.

EarlAllen

Programmer
Jan 21, 2002
US
I have created several databases with Access 97 that I use in my Visual C++ applications. How do I prevent a user or competitor from seeing the design of my database while still allowing the user to read and write their data to it?

I appreciate any help you can provide. Thanks in advance.

Where do they (the databases) live?
in what ways are they exposed to customers/competitors?

Thanks for responding.

My database design would be distributed to my customers with my Visual C++ program. The customers would enter their own application data in them with my program.

My problem is that I don't want them or competitors to see the design with Access or any other database program.

I remember someone protecting their database design with Access II years ago but I don't remember how they did it.

Any ideas - Thanks - Earl

Goto Tools > Security > Set Database Password

You can also make an MDE file from the database which will remove any unnecessary design features. But the password is really all you need.

It is relative though - cracking Access passwords is not that difficult (easier in earlier versions), and someone who really wanted to do this, could. But it is a deterrent for the general passer by.

If you are flexible about the database software then there are much more secure, encrypted databases that are pretty hard to crack.

Hope that helps.

A smile is worth a thousand kind words. So smile, it's easy! :)

The only thing I would comment is that I am not sure you should worry about this or pursue it. I have found many times that is can be very useful for customers to be able to enhance products if they have the knowledge. Being able to write a quick Access Query can help in trying to diagnose problems or to meet a special need. As a customer, I prefer a vendor who lets me see what I have bought vs fighting me to hide it.

If you build a good product, provide good support, and price it fairly, most people will be willing to be honest with you and not try to steal your work.

Dan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back