Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

pros and cons of MiVB virtual deployment

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crowtalks

Technical User
Mar 19, 2005
US
Our local county government is currently using a MiVB 8.0 PR3 with 250 users on a MXE III and a Nupoint blade on a Dell and our office maintains it.

We are looking at separating our department (Sheriff's Department) from the current config and going with a new MiVB virtual using Hyper V on a ISS.

Initial deployment would be about 120 multi-user. 100 VM boxes (with vm to email capability) with anticipated growth to 200+ stations.

We would be wanting to cluster with the existing system.

I retired from our local ILEC 3 years ago and was the main MiVB tech for ten+ years but all the systems I deployed and maintained were MXE based...I have no experience with virtual deployment at all (except for NuPoint).

I guess one thing I am wondering is operational differences between virtual and MXE...what can the MXE platform do that the ISS version can't.

Thanks, Jim

"If I had known it would turn out like this, I would have become a locksmith" Albert Einstein

NCSS, NCTS, NCTE, CS1000E, Call Pilot
Avaya IP Office
Mitel 3300 Advanced, 5000, SX200, NuPoint, MiCollab, MBG

If you had said VMware , i would have definitely said go virtual
- upgrades are much easier
- deploy new ova
- do restore from running
- keep old appliance for week after go live in case you need to revert and then delete it

Hyper v complicates it with having to build the server manually
- create server
- mount MSL iso
- boot , install and license MSL
- mount MIVB iso ( or install from internet)
- install mivb blade
- for upgrades do the same if you want an old version to roll back to

you can revert( swap) versions if a MIVB blade upgrade has been performed but I'm a fan of having exact old server available in case MSL was upgraded

Biggest benefit for both is you are no longer locked to mitel hardware - so future upgrades should always be possible.
There will be a point where a MIVB version No longer supports MxeIII

as to what MxeII can do that a vMIVB cant - E1 T1 Analog trunk Analog phones
- in any virtual miVb there is NO TDM support
- T1 E1 trunks would have to be via Physical controller or other NTU converting it to sip or be changed to SIP trunks terminated on vMIVB
- analogs would have to be via some form of ATA sevice

the vmivb can be clustered to other MIVB
as long as the mxe is NOT a standalone license you should be able to do direct ip or ip/xnet trunks to from it

If I never did anything I'd never done before , I'd never do anything.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back