Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Proper Render size for TV output 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

mandark1011

Technical User
Nov 15, 2002
CA
Hi again
I have always rendered animated frames at 640x480 but someone told me that was the wrong size for standard TV output, He didn't know the actual render size. Can anyone help?
Thanks

hello !

you are right to work in 640 480 with a pixel ration of 1...
this is for a "basic" ntsc
but there is other format... like NTSC DV wide screen, NTSC D1 with a pixel ratio of 1 or a pixel ratio of 0.9...
For TV work, today in my post production company, the final output we deliver is 720/486 with a pixel ratio of 0.9.

and when i work with video footage comming from a inferno grab, i use this setup.

but if I need to create an animated sequence with footage that i create in illustrator, flash, photoshop, my setup is 720*540 pixel ratio 1.0, and after i comp the final work in a 720 486 pixel ratio 0.9 , by applying a 90% scale on X and Y it fit the comp perfectly.

with this method the circle shape doesn t look like a oval and the square to a rectangle on the computer screen.

for graphic animation with very thin edge, if your computer allow you to do so, i would suggest you to double the resolution of 720*540 and after do the scale to video res output. this can avoid hard edge on high contrast area of the screen by creating a "natural" blur with the scale.

I really hope this will help you !
feel free to ask again things that seem obscure!
because i am french and my english not so good...

last tips
when you render or setup a composition in after effect, there is something called PRESET to help you to choose what you need.

good luck!

yann

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back