Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Proper Permissions on Website folders

Status
Not open for further replies.

Taco

Programmer
Apr 1, 2001
US
Could someone tell me the basic settings for permissions on a website folder? Should everyone be read-only and the IUSER_XXXX have change access? There are a couple of places on the site where certain users have to upload files either to the TEMP directory or to a specific sub-folder of the website folder. Does the System need certain rights as well?

This is on an NT 4.0 SP6a running IIS 5.0.

If you have anonymous access enabled then the default web user (IUR_servername) has to have read access for all folder you want people to be able to use. You *can* change the account for the default web user though, so it's worth checking to make sure it is still IUSR_...

If users have to upload via http then IUSR_... should have write permissions. HOWEVER the SYSTEM account should have R/W/D permissions too.

IIS + NT permissions can be the source of all sorts of 401-related fun, so be prepared to sit down and try *lots* of combinations. Eg, we had an application that wouldn't work until we gave the SYSTEM account execute permissions on the ROOT folder (C:\) which made no sense, but worked :)

Thanks for your help. I guess nothing is ever straight forward when working with Microsoft products. So I don't need the everyone group to have read permissions then - just the IUSR_MACH and SYSTEM?

If you are using Anonymous access then the web server should use the IUSR_mach identity. Giving that read permissions should be enough. However Windows / IIS seems to love sticking a spanner in the works. So you may still end up giving the Everyone group read access in an attempt to make IIS see reason ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back