Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

proper image size using tablet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Technical User
Jan 6, 2001
US
Hello...
I'm using a tablet to trace over an image -- however, when I trace over the image, what is sent to my computer is much to large for what I need. I attempted to resize but lines lost their detail.
Is their away to adjust the image size that is sent from tablet to Adobe Illustrator ?
Thanks for any suggestions.

unfortunaly the tablet is relative to your monitors resolution, not AI's artboard. Your best bet is to of course double check your tablets max matches your screen in the tablets control panel. Second, make sure your viewing your document at Actual Size, not Fit to Screen.

You will probably have better results over all if you scan the image into photoshop, save it as a greyscale .tif and place it into AI linked. I find dimming the placed art on a locked layer while tracing it on a new layer in set to outline mode works the best. BEHOLD! As Steve Jobs introduces us the latest in desk-lamp technology!

Thank you Jaquan.
I'm a newbie to photoshop and Illustrator. Would it be possible for you to outline the steps necessary to do what you said:
"place it into AI linked. I find dimming the placed art on a locked layer while tracing it on a new layer in set to outline mode works the best. "

Thanks again !!

Hehe, sorry I was trying to keep it short.

1. Start a new AI doc

2. File -> Place

3. Choose the file you scanned into photoshop

4. Double-click on 'Layer 1' in your layers pallett

5. Check both 'Lock' and 'Dim' then hit OK

6. Create a new layer

7. Hold command (ctrl on PC's) and click on the eyeball icon next to 'Layer 2'

You are now set up to trace your scan. When you are done you are gonna delete 'Layer 1' by dragging it into the layers pallett's trash can. 'Layer 2' is now in artwork mode so you can see the actual splines you are creating. Command-Click on Layer 2 again anytime you want to start adding color. BEHOLD! As Steve Jobs introduces us the latest in desk-lamp technology!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back