Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Proper Design for Storing Questionnaire results 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobsg

Programmer
Jul 3, 2001
US
I would appreciate advice about the best method of storing the results on a registration form where some questions would allow the user to choose more then one choice. On some of the questions the number of possible choices could be long. The people who are going to use this database do not know Access so I would like to give them the ability to edit the list of possible responses to these questions. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Most of the questions are standard questions where a drop down list with one answer will work. There are at most 3 or 4 questions of the type described above.

Thanks Bob G.

" ... let me count the ways ..."

I would probably use a set of check boxes on the form, binding each check box to a (boolean) field. Seperatly, you could set up te "caption" for each check box in a table and have a small utility form to edit the "question". Back over at the "Form", the OnActivate (or OnLoad) event could set e caption for the labels associated with the check boxes and -if the caption is blank- simply sett e checkbox visible property to false.

I'm sure I am missing some (several?) things, but as an approach it would be woreth trrying (but only if I were being paid to do the trying!).

MichaelRed
mred@att.net

There is never time to do it right but there is always time to do it over

Thanks Michael for the taking the time to respond. You are right in saying that there are many ways of doing this. My first thought was a design that would use separate tables for the responses to each question and a table to store the user choices that would link back to the master table. I just was not sure if it was worth the work to implement this type of design. Your suggestion would make the interface much easier to design. The only drawback is the number fields that you might end up with. I appreciate your ideas and have started the work to implement it.

Thanks,
Bob Gouveia
bob@cgm-cpa.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back