Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Propagation is taking its time

Status
Not open for further replies.

mmyouthnet

IS-IT--Management
Feb 22, 2006
GB
The admin console shows that the our machines have been discovered but the client push installation and subsequent recognition of the Advanced client existing on the computers is taking very long time.

It's been three days since SMS has been on our network and only 30 out of 55 clients have are shown as having the Advanced client installed in the Admin Console.

As an SMS newbie I'd appreciate any help with this.

Thanks

A couple things to look at would be:

On the client local machine make sure the client really isnt there (it might be but hasnt be able to update itself)

If there really isn't a client on it make sure it is in a boundary, you can usually tell by it having no assignment to a site in the admin console

Good point Tim!

I assume you have client push installed and enabled to install as discovered? Or, are you manually running client push?

If the resources are showing up as not assigned.. sometimes this may be due to a class B subnet or an AD site that's using a class B subnet. If they are showing as unassigned, you can puch the client and during the wizard, uncheck the box to allow deployment to unassigned workstations. Either way, check the ccm.log and you can see the push to each workstation and server. if is can connect, no errors will be shown. if you get error 53, the resource is not available. If you get error 5, then it's a permission issue.

Brian Tucker
The Blogcast Repository

I've known some issues for clients being pushed to assigned sites when there is a problem with the management point, fixed, by removing the MP role from the machine, stopping and starting the WMI Service for SMS, and re-assigning the MP role. However, I don't know about that affecting "some" machines, but not others. Unless the other machines already had an SMS client on them from a previous server, and their new network setup has just automatically detected the new site code, and NO new clients have actually been pushed.
Just an input, doesn't really help! :-|

Neil J Cotton
njc Information Systems
Systems Consultant
HND, BSc HONS, CCNA, BCS, IETF, DMTF

Hi guys

Thanks for all your help. The problem seems to be that the client is installed, but isn't assigned to our site. When I got into the advanced tab in Control Panel > Systems Management the site field is blank.

Is there anyway of forcing discovery?

What happens when you click "Auto Discover" next to the site code in the Systems Management gui on the client?

Neil J Cotton
njc Information Systems
Systems Consultant

Are all the machines on the same subnet? Are all viable for the advanced clients (as in are 2000/xp machines)? Is the Windows Firewall enabled on the machines that are not receiving the client? If so, is File and Print Sharing enabled?

It might be worth doing manual push from the Site Server to one of the machines that isn't showing up, and select Advanced client (or site default if you have set it up properly), then select "Always install or repair". Remote desktop via windows normal RemoteViewer, assuming it is enabled on the client, and check the processes in the task manager, look for CCMSetup.exe running, then that should dissapear in about 2 minutes and CCMExec.exe come back. Now update your collections and refresh the content pane.

Also check the clients Systems Managment tool and see if it has picked up your agents, or whether it just has User and Machine policy refresh. Give them both a refresh (initiate action) anyway, just for the hell of it. Give yourself a few minutes after each refresh, sometimes it can be a bit laggy coming through!

HTH

Neil J Cotton
njc Information Systems
Systems Consultant

They are all 2000/xp machines. The client I just checked (which hadn't picked up the site code yet) had the Windows firewall enabled and also had file and print sharing enabled.

Are Windows Firewall and File and Print Sharing a problem? And, if so, is it possible to remotely disable them (as obviously our network is protected by our corporate firewall product).

Thanks for your quick replies.

A couple things here to take a look at, the ClientLocation.log and the CCMExec.log and they should tell you why its not getting assigned.

should be fine with File and Print sharing enabled, no need to disable the firewall, it's just one of those things i try when troubleshooting. I try to steer away from logs, out of personal loathing for log files, but tim is right, have a look at CCMExec.log

Neil J Cotton
njc Information Systems
Systems Consultant

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back