Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Promt User to Enter Field 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

jvleigh221

IS-IT--Management
Oct 27, 2006
US
If a report field receives a null value, How can I give the user an opportunity to fill in that field?

and, if its possible

In the case of Multiple rows how would the user know which value to enter?

For example:
Query pulls: Item, Price, Weight

Employee forgets to enter Weight

Report generates and for Item 245 theres no Weight value.

How could I create the user promts so that it informs the user that it's Item 245 that needs the value for Weight and then they can enter it?

Report then completes.

Thanks a bunch,
Jeremy

You want to do this at time of dataa entry - not at report time.

Greg
"Personally, I am always ready to learn, although I do not always like being taught." - Winston Churchill

How about presenting the user with a check sheet, prior to running the report? This could be a form that shows all records with missing data.

I would personally try to fix the data before it hits the report...especially if the users are entering the data in the same application. So if you can, put checks in the data entry area.

If you cannot, in the report you can "prompt" for missing values. I tested with the following:

I placed Text0 in the Details section of a report. The I placed the following in the Detail_Format:

Code:
If Me.Text0 = "" Or IsNull(Me.Text0) Then Me.Text0 = InputBox("What is the weight value?")

I opened this report and got a InputBox prompt where I entered 245 and that value appeared in the report.

This was a fast and dirty test....you need to test it in your situation. But again, you really should do this sort of checking/validating at the data entry level, or at the very least, before the report is generated. If you have to have an intermediary step that uses some queries and the like to validate and correct data, you should work that angle...

Just my couple of cents and I hope it helps.

=======================================
People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world. (Calvin from Calvin And Hobbs)

Robert L. Johnson III
CCNA, CCDA, MCSA, CNA, Net+, A+, CHDP
VB/Access Programmer

You all beat me, but at least we had the same thoughts...[tongue]

People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world. (Calvin from Calvin And Hobbs)

Robert L. Johnson III
VB/Access Programmer

Unfortunately, getting the user to fill in the table is not an option.

Consider, tables are locked user cannot enter new data, but needs to alter the report before it generates fully.

Thanks to all for your suggestions.
Jeremy

Thanks, mstrmage1768

I will try that

Thanks,
Jeremy

A bit longer check shows this will not work....it puts the same value in all the records.

As suggested fixing upfront is the way to go.

If the users can't modify the existing data, you can also use a temp table....Find all the records missing data, prompt the users to fill in the missing data, then use a union or iif to combine the two sets of data...

Robert L. Johnson III
VB/Access Programmer

Bummer, Now I guess I need to figure out how to do that.

Back to the books.

Thanks for all the advice.

Jeremy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back