Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Prompts at document level

Status
Not open for further replies.

26point2

Programmer
Jun 1, 2003
US
We have an MSTR document that comprises of multiple reports. What we would like to do is to setup a prompt such that we can decide as to which of the reports are included in the document. Basically what we want to do is dynamically change the contents of the document.

Unfortunately it seems that MSTR doesnot give us document level prompts. But there could be a workaround. The MSTR IS generates the XML document which the webserver formats using an XSL Stylesheet.

The Stylesheet can probably be used to filter out reports from the MSTR document based on the 'name' attribute in the generated XML.

I would like to know is this approach feasible? Have you have come across any such situation? If so, what was the approach you used.

Much appreciated,
26point2

So, you want to kick off a document object, but have the user decide at runtime which reports to display in the doc object? Does the document object already use prompts, or are the individual reports static?

What exactly is the 'name' attribute in the XML?

I think what you are trying to do is quite doable, given what I understand of it so far. You could also use aptly named object prompts to deliver something like 'empty' templates...lotsa options.

Chael

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back