Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

prompting for 2nd tape acts weird

Status
Not open for further replies.

bhunji

Technical User
Feb 19, 2003
CA
Hi,

I have a couple servers running the following;

ArcServe 9.01 SP2 build is 2200
Windows 2000 SP4 with latest patches/hotfixes applied

The problem I'm having is that ever since I applied SP2 to arcserve, when the backup job prompts for a second tape, to continue the job I have to actually log into the server and click the ok button. Prior to SP2 just placing the next tape in was enough to get the backup going again.

Or if I want to cancel the job I can't simply click the cancel button, I have to open task manager and kill the prompt.

Anyone else experience this, or know how I can fix it?

Have not come across anyone else with this so far.

Sounds like a problem with the Message Engine (it handles pop-ups).

I say set all the ARCserve services to startup type Manual.
Restart the system.
Reinstall SP2.

If that does not do it then I'd say to try the uninstall/reinstall route.

Hi,

Try disabling "enable confirmation messages" on the Server Admin- Log Tab

So it Shall be Written!
So it Shall be Done!!

I just stopped and started the services and in the activity log I received this

E7002 - Unable to set service status for Message Engine. (EC=Invalid Handle)

Okay, I just tried disabling and enabling the confirmation messages, I then stopped and restarted the services and didn't receive the above message. I'll try running a backup to see if that worked...

removing and re-adding the check box didn't work...

is there anything else I can try before attempting a reinstall of arcserve?

Hi,

Just uncheck the "enable confirmation messages". you dont have to enable it again.

So it Shall be Written!
So it Shall be Done!!

tried a back up with "enable confirmation messages" unchecked, same results

can't cancel the job and inserting a tape doesn't auto resume the backup

HI,

Are you on the actual host backup server, or connecting to the server thru a BAB manager or a terminal session?

I ask because there were issues while connecting thru a manager to the actual server console.

So it Shall be Written!
So it Shall be Done!!

I'm in the BAB manager, sitting in front of the host server.

Prior to SP2 I didn't even have to log in to continue the job, just put the next tape in, and away it went.

But now I have to log on to the server locally and press the OK button.

If I terminal service into the server, the only way to stop the job is to reboot the server.

Okay, yesterday I tried reinstalling SP2 on 2 of the affected servers and the problem still remains...

Hi,

I tried testing this and it does look weird after Sp2.

try this..

when the job prompts for the 2nd media, before ejecting the tape, open the device manager and highlight the drive. You would see the media in the drive, now, eject the media, the status on the drive would change to "no media in drive".
If you then, insert a 2nd tape, it will still show "no media in drive".
Basically, BAB is not recognizing a 2nd media being inserted after sp2.

However, if I install SP1 again, and try the same steps as above, the status changes from "no media in drive" to "blank media" once the 2nd tape is inserted and the job continues.

So it Shall be Written!
So it Shall be Done!!

yes that is the problem I am having. returning to SP1 seems to be the only solution so far...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back