Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Prompting Failed Error Code 0xi0004005

Status
Not open for further replies.

bunnycat

Technical User
Sep 17, 2008
US
When I try running the report with a dynamic parameter prompt, I encounter an error 'UNKNOWN DATABASE CONNECTOR - Prompting Failed with the following error message Error Code: 0x80004005. When I run the report without the dynamic parameter prompt, the report runs fine. I am using Crystal Xl 11.5.11.1470 ORACLE 11g. Could you give me some clues on how to troubleshoot this problem or what would cause this problem?

Hi,
Usually that error means that the TNS names entry for the Oracle database instance that has the data needed for the dynamic prompt is not correct or is missing.

Check your tnsnames.ora file ( Or better yet, use Oracle's native connection method in your report - listed under Oracle Server in your database choices)

[profile]

To Paraphrase:"The Help you get is proportional to the Help you give.."

I am newbie to configuring tns names file. For example, what entry line would indicate the ORACLE instance for the dynamic cascade prompt datasource? Please excuse my ignorance. I looked for the Server menu item under Database in Crystal but it was not an option.

Hi,
You may need to ask your Oracle DBA for the tnsnames.ora entry format...Try using the 'Set Database Location' option and see if the Oracle Server connection is listed.

Usually a tnsnames.ora file is found in the %OracleHome%/net
directory...

[profile]

To Paraphrase:"The Help you get is proportional to the Help you give.."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back