Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

prompt user for input for each page? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

pauljkeenan

Programmer
Jun 19, 2006
TR
Hey lads

I have a nice report for our bi-annual consulate report which shows how much each applicant paid and in what currency. There is also a field for each record for the converted fee. However I want to prompt the user to input an exchange rate for each page or even for each group of 30 records before the report preview is created. so maybe once the user tries to preview the report, a prompt comes up asking the rate for each page - message box or a form. Ive been trying to use tables but its messy. the reason why we need to be able to add the rate later is so we can ensure the accounts add up to what we return to our embassy. Do any super access heads have any idea how to go about this or an alternative method? like how to add an "exchange rate" entry to multiple records at once? our country needs you

your help is very appreciated as always,

take it easy lads, go raibh mille maith agat

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm ... mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

but then you are entering this exchange rate after the fact (and possibly looooooooooooooog after?) how is the user to know what the excahnge rate is / was at the time of hte transaction? Wouldn't it be better to use the 'messiness' of the table? Just keeping track of hte exchenge rate used for the period seems simple enough, just a single entry each time the rate changes, then having the date/time of the transaction should provide sufficient info to retrieve the rate at that time.

MichaelRed

Yes Michael, thats how I was setting out doing it originally but if we wanted to "tweek" the ol' rates to ensure the total added up it would be necessary to change 100s of Xrate records just to get out a figure near to what our exchanged total is expected to be. The rate doesnt change that much day to day and with the old database they were using, they used rounded off rates and multiplied this by the fees received. If the report didnt add up, then maybe a month's rate is changed to ensure it works out

ive changed my approach anyway, ill ask for a rate the first of every month, then when it comes time to do the report 6 months later the rates for each month can be changed by the user to make sure it adds up

I think it should be easier this way

... surely I'm missing something ... mayhap a lot of the something ... the point of using 'technology' seems (to me) to find the and present the reality, not just to 'make it add up'.

If the entire point is to MAKE it add up / agree, hten why even have it? Just print any old thing with some columns and rows with figures and hide one or two little items which "round off" any totals to match whatever is desired (or expected). Please don't respond to this, as I've already noted, I clearly do not understand this issue and am not likely to do so through these exchanges.

MichaelRed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back