Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Prompt for disabled parameter

Status
Not open for further replies.

JulsY

Programmer
Jan 22, 2002
US
I have a report that has a parameter that is NOT used in running the report and is not placed anywhere in the report. It is hust listed under "Parameters" section in Field Explorer window.

When I run this report from Designer and from "View on Demand" in CE 8.5 I am not being prompted to input a value for this parameter. This is good and should be this way.

HOWEVER, if I go to "Schedule" the report in CE the parameter is there.

Has anyone ran into this problem?

Thanks

The logical question is why don't you delete the parm?

CE 8.5 doesn't require you to use the parms listed in the report, even if they are referenced in the code, you have to explicitly tell it to use them.

If you schedule it, it will list the parm under the Parameters because you have it in the report, but that doesn't mean that it will use it anywhere, it's just a list of parms in the report.

-k

I need tohave it there because sometimes this report is used as subreport and doesn't use this parameter and other times it is a stand alone report and uses this parameter.

If you are saying that CE will give me just a list of all parameters, then why it does not list it when viewing on demand?

Thanks

Hi,
What exactly do you mean by
"then why it does not list it when viewing on demand?"
You indicated it prompted you when needed, and did not when not...

The Scheduler looks at the report's objects which includes the parameter..The filter section shows how and if, the parameter is used..
The scheduler tries to 'cover all bases' and will list any parameter in case you need to set it before running the report..

My approach would be to have 2 versions of the report:
1 for stand-alone and 1 for subreport use...

[profile]

If you do not want to manage 2 reports, then I would keep the parameter and have the first option be ALL. Then, in your record selection use the following:

if {?param} = 'ALL' then
true
else
somevalue/somefield = {?param};

This method will force the prompt in both the scheduler and the viewer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back