Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Promoting Server to DC

Status
Not open for further replies.

MIScoord

MIS
Aug 21, 2001
US
Running a Windows 2K network over a frame relay with nine subnets. Have a server on a seperate subnet from the main DC that I want to promote to a DC to handle logins for that subnet. However, I get as far in DCPROMO as the screen where you specify what domain you want the DC to be a part of. It puts my domain in the blank and I can see it in the browse list. However, when I press the Next button, I get message that "the domain "mydomain.com" could not be contacted. Please select another domain." Is this a bandwidth issue on my network, or do I have something set wrong in Active Directory? Me: We need a better backup system.
My boss's boss: Backup? We don't need no stinkin' backup!

My first guess (and probably most tek's) would be DNS. Make sure this server is pointing at the same DNS server that the DC uses (which may actually be the existing DC). Do an NSLOOKUP on the member server for SRV records under the _ldap._tcp. section of your domain (and check for these in your DNS manager).

Bronto's right again. Also look and see if you have outdated hosts and lmhosts file. Glen A. Johnson
Microsoft Certified Professional
gjohn76351@msn.com
"Knowledge increases in proportion to its use, that is,
the more we teach the more we learn."
Helena Petrova Blavatsky (1831 - 1891), Russian author and translator.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back