Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Promoting a Win2k server to PDC in an NT4 network 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

rdurant

MIS
Oct 23, 2003
BB
I have network that contains an NT4 server which currently acts as the PDC for that domain. I recently added a Win2k server to that domain and I want this server to take over the PDC role in this domain. Is this possible? and if so, how is it done?

I realise that one cannot promote the server to a PDC from Server Manager, neither can I promote it using 'dcpromo'...

I choose 'Additional domain controller for an existing domain' and it tells me that the domain is not an AD domain, or an AD domain controller for that domain could not be found.

Thanks,
Ryan

In order to introduce any Windows 2000 or Windows 2003 machines as a DC into your domain you must first convert the existing PDC first. There is no getting around this.
You can of course have as many 2000 boxes as member servers in your NT4 domain as you like.

HOWEVER...what you can do is this.

First rebuild your 2000 box as an NT4 BDC. Then promote it to PDC. Once it is the PDC, you can upgrade it to Windows 2000.

Spend as much time as you can in setting up your DNS properly. Improperly configured DNS tends to be the biggest cause of network problems in a Windows 2000 implementation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back