Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Promoting a Win2k server to PDC in an NT4 network 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

rdurant

MIS
Oct 23, 2003
BB
I have network that contains an NT4 server which currently acts as the PDC for that domain. I recently added a Win2k server to that domain and I want this server to take over the PDC role in this domain. Is this possible? and if so, how is it done?

I realise that one cannot promote the server to a PDC from Server Manager, neither can I promote it using 'dcpromo'...

I choose 'Additional domain controller for an existing domain' and it tells me that the domain is not an AD domain, or an AD domain controller for that domain could not be found.

Thanks,
Ryan

The only way this can be done is if you install the Win2K server as a Domain Controller which means you must configure Active Directory and all kinds of other stuff.

If you have a really intricate domain that would be painfully difficult to recreate, then you might upgrade the existing NT server, to win2k. You'll be able to migrate the domain you have to active directory, then attach your new server, and replicate everything to it.

However, careful planning should be made, such as...

1. DATA IS BACKED UP. Again. DATA IS BACKED UP.
2. If the NT server is upgraded, and reboots to a blue screen, you might have to jump the plan and start creating the active directory from scratch on the new server.
3. You really don't want to do this on a production day, as there is much room for problems with upgrading any server.

Matt J.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back