Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Promise Raid From Vista to W2K3 Server Speed Cut By > 85%

Status
Not open for further replies.

benn600

MIS
May 20, 2004
US
I'll start by saying this is a very tough issue and I have already went through lots of thought and calls. No one can provide an answer.

Vista, 450MB/sec
W2K3S, 50MB/sec
I'm using the Promise SuperTrak EX16350, RAID6, with 16 Western Digital 500GB 7200 16MB drives. While running Windows Vista Home Premium, I was getting speed test results of around 450MB/sec. This was plenty fast and could saturate any connections I have to the server.

I have since switched to Windows 2003 Server (Enterprise x64 AND Standard x86 with appropriate/latest drivers) and have noticed a significant drop in performance. The single 320GB Maxtor drive, where the OS resides, gets around 65MB/sec while this gigantic RAID6 array is now getting around 50MB/sec.

It is the same data array. I did not reformat or recreate the array. I just installed the new OS and then took ownership of all the files on the array. Everyone keeps questioning my 2GB of memory or processor (Core 2 Duo, $200 price range) but it was running great with Vista. I am almost considering the Fata1ity motherboard as a potential problem. I had another post on the 2cpu forum and another individual was citing similar slowdowns and also reported a Fata1ity motherboard.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I switched to Vista because it has many benefits and even with the slower performance, it's worth keeping, but this is unbelievable! I and most others were thinking my performance would go up!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back