Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Promise 100 ultra tx2 IDE card

Status
Not open for further replies.

jamccor

MIS
Apr 4, 2003
US
I am installing Windows xp with my Promise IDE card. Whenever It gets to the part in setup where it detects devices..it just sits there all night and wont go any further with the install. Now when I removed the card and tried setting up XP again..all went well. Once It was set up I tried using the card again and this time it just sits at the login screen. I also emailed Promise and am awaiting a response. Any clues why this happens??

It has been a while, but I doubled the driver set from promise, extracted it to a floppy disk, and then when in Install asks you to hit F5 to install additional SCSI or RAID drivers I hit F5 and inserted the floppy.

But Ive already installed xp without it. Now I really do not want to reload it again. Even when I try to insert card and start up windows,it locks up at the login screen. This is my real issue.

Okay.

. Do not connect your existing Windows boot disk to the controller;

. Install the board in the machine and watch carefully right after the BIOS boot screen to see if the Promise BIOS boot ROM display message appears. If not, there is another PCI board conflicting with the device.

. If the Promise BIOS message appears, Windows should start and after boot begin the New Hardware Wizard.

Upon bootup with card installed..Yes, I do get the Promise bios attempting to detect drives and if I connect a drive..it will detect it. When it poroceeds to boot to Windows..I get as far as the logon screen. Now it doesnt actually lock up my machine as it just seems to sit there.This has happened at least 3 times until I removed the card in which case everything booted normally.

okay i just had a system up and running perfectly using an ide controller card.

here's what i suggest:

1) as above copy the driver files for the card to a floppy disk.xp setup for some reason seems to only check the floppy drive for the drivers.

2) connect the drive to the controller card and make sure the jumper settings are correct eg (master)

3) insert the floppy and run windows xp setup again. press f6 when prompted to do so this will install the drivers for the card from the floppy.

4) setup should then proceed as normal.

why are you using a controller card? i had to because the bios i had did not play ball with large hard drives and there were no recent updates beyond 1999.

my system worked perectly however i have recently upgraded to a much newer one.

if i can be of any further help give me a yell

cheers,

:)

Stu

jamccor,

See if in the BIOS there is an option to enable "Busmastering" for the PCI slot you are using for the board.

It sounds like the board is asserting PCI buss control and not releasing it.

The reason Im using a controller card is because I ran out of IDE ports on my Motherboard.Thanks

I've had almost the same issue. Looking on the net, the opinions seem to be that the Promise card and XP are incompatible, or at least the drivers are. I've loaded Windows ME to solve this and all works perfectly, I've tried messing with this problem with XP loads, but not found a solution as yet. I have the same issue with XP's native drivers for the card and also with those from Promise.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back