Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Prologix Expansion

Status
Not open for further replies.

PBXmann

Technical User
Jun 8, 2002
US
I am getting conflicting information from two vendors. We have a Prologix and would like to install an additional cabinet on another floor and connect them via fiber. One vendor says the Prologix cannot be connected via fiber, must be connected directly using a special cable. The other vendor says it can be connected by fiber.

Any clarification is appreciated! Thanks.

I had the same problem last year. I was informed that I had to use a cable no longer than 6 feet to connect them. I was able to add the cabinet, luckily I had an extra cable from another system. I hope this helps.

It does help, I have a vendor telling me I can connect the two cabinets via fiber 22 floors away in the same building. Time for a new vendor perhaps?

Yes, you need a new vendor. It's a bus cable, 6' max. Essentially, you're adding a carrier, not a "cabinet" in the g3i/si/r sense of the word.

-CL

I would probably find another vendor. Seems he's just trying to make a sale. Glad I could be of help.

I also think they can only expand to 3 cabinets (A,B,C)...

Not very scalable - I thought it could only have something like 450 ports... I could be wrong here though.

Thanks,
Chris

We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit. ARISTOTLE 384-322 B.C.

i dont think it is nescessary for the expansion cabinet to be separeted longer on main cabinet.. because the bus cable of a prologix have a standard length. all you have to do buy the expansion cabinet and cross connect extension cable to the riser then to the distribution..

teknek..

The reason that u can't have a longer cable is that the Prologix only supports the extention of the TDM bus with an actual parallel cable. With the SI options u have the ability to convert the TDM bus into a optical serial signal. The Prologix doesn't support the boards to do the conversion.

Da-vi'do

P.S. A message to all,if you want to get the best response to a question, please read FAQ222-2244 first. Also give the type & version of your voice mail & pbx system & preview your post to make sure it is complete & understandable. Be aware that if u don't answer a question, I usually will not continue to help u.

Thank you all. I have received confirmation from two vendors that you are all correct, that fiber can not be used.

Yes, and I've also heard that you can only expand the cabinet to 3 (A,B,C) as well. Good luck with the expansion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back