Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Proliant ML370 RAID Configuration

Status
Not open for further replies.

Parmb

Technical User
Dec 17, 2001
GB
Hi all,

need some help so here i am;

I've been asked to configure a new server as follows:

- create a drive array RAID 1 with a logical drive for the system
- create a drive array RAID 5 with a logical drive for the data
- install the server in the logical drive for the system

I've setup ML370's before in RAID 1 and RAID 5, p.s. i have an additional 64x array controler which i used instead of the onboard controler- dedicating the onboard to the ultrium drive. I just patch the hdd enclosure to the 64x array controler and configure using smartstart

Anyway my question is how do i setup the server with two arrays?

do i need another array controler? also the hdd enclosure houses all the disks, do i need an external enclosure for the 2nd array.

OR am i missing the point? i.e. is it possible to do this with all hdd's in the same enclosure on the same controler?

Thanks in advance

Parmb,

Assuming you have at least 5 disks (2 for RAID 1 and 3 for RAID 5) run smartstart then select ACU (Array Configuration Utility). If it already shows that an array exists delete it and create a new array containing the first 2 disks (RAID 1) then create a 2nd array using the remaining disks (RAID 5) and create your logical drives as required.

-------------------------------

If it doesn't leak oil it must be empty!!

but if you only have 2 drives for the raid1 its kinda pointless since the mirror of raid one is for safety reasons you should have 3 2 mirrored and one for a hot spare.... so i would use atleast 3 for raid one and atleast 3 for raid 5 and if you use the "hp" array config utility it is very easy to setup and you can find it on hps web site

having 2 drives with RAID 1 isnt pointless - it's the whole point! If either one fails, you just pull it out and put in a new one. A hot spare is just an added bonus, but i agree you should have one.

The hot spare can also be assigned to both logical drives, so if any of your drives fail, it'll immediately kick-in.

What is the server for - and why do you need 2 arrays and not a single raid5 (which'll give you more storage, but less performance.)

really i didnt know you could assign one hot spare to two logical drives

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back