Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Proliant DL580 nic problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

shpshftr

Technical User
Oct 21, 2002
US
Hey everyone we have a Prolaint DL580 with two Compaq NC3134 dual nics in it. The server dropped off line the other day and now the nics will not receive data according to Windows. The CPQ team software says they are recieving data but Windows says they are not and theres no communication with them. I know the switch is fine because I can still remote in to the machine using the Lights out remote management board. I've tried updating drivers, firmware, everything short of rebuilding the OS. Anyone seen something similiar to this before? Thanks

The only time I have seen this is when one of the NICs has been faulty (although the NICs were not onboard, they were PCI cards in a ML530).

Are your switch ports configured for FEC?

-----------------------------------------------------
"It's true, its damn true!"

Yes the switch is configured for FEC but it really should'nt matter because thats only required whne they're teamed. They are currently unteamed. These are both PCI cards.

If your NICs are unteamed and plugged into switch ports that are configured for FEC, they won't work properly. If the server configuration is going to remain unteamed, change your switch ports to a normal configuration rather than leaving them as FEC (or connect one NIC to the RIB network connection to see if communication is any better)

"It's true, its damn true!"

Should have mentioned before this server is also part of a cluster. The Cluster nic is the same 3134 is just on a crossover cable to the other server and it can't communicate either. That's why I already ruled out any problem with the switch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back