Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Proliant DL380 G2 - Rx Heartbeat Failure when setting up teaming

Status
Not open for further replies.

JVKAdmin

IS-IT--Management
Dec 28, 2001
CA
Hi all,

I don't know if many of you have had issues like this but I've discovered that when setting up a new Windows 2003 server on a Compaq (now HP) DL380 G2 server in a network teamed config (Load balancing with redundant fail over mode - TLB) that its showing up as having a problem with network adapter #2 saying Rx Heartbeat failure. All of the diagnostics check out. I'm using the Hp configuration utility version 7.8.0.x off of the smart start CD version 7.20. The server is connected to a 3-com Super Stack 3 4300 switch.

One of the things that had crossed my mind was to just turn off the receive heartbeat option but I want to make sure the system is going to continue to function properly as this system is going into production.

Any help or insight would be appreciated.

Thanks

Kevin.

Hi,

Actually I did read that article. What I've done is set the teaming mode to SLB - Switch assisted Load Balancing/fault tolerance. It seems to work after testing and the heartbeat Receive option is gone (transmit still there) and theres something that says that the receive heartbeat option is not available when using Switch assisted mode. I also read up on our switch, it appears it does have some type of link aggregation abilities and I think we had set it up for this server in the past. It would be nice if all of the terms and tech used were consistant.

After testing the link fail over by unplugging cables and seeing what happened (while using a laptop to generate a constant ping to the server) and looking at the statistics it appears there are no more Rx heartbeat failure messages (only OK). It looks like that was the problem.

Kevin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back