Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Proliant 8000 No SCSI controllers or drives detected

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 2, 2005
US
I have acquired a Compaq Proliant 8000 with 6 550mHz CPUs off of eBay ... It has 3 hot swap cages for 7 SCSI drives each ...

I have got a couple other Proliant servers off of eBay and have got them to work using the SmartStart CD and it would detect the controllers or boards that were stripped with the machine before they were sold off in their lots and pieced on eBay ...

This 8000 is giving me a problem ... It doesn't appear to have a SCSI controller in it, although there are 3 cables fed up to the top compartment and plugged into the motherboard ... When booting, after memory test and CPU list, there is no messages about SCSI or SCSI drives found ... All the backplanes have green LEDs lit ... I have tried a single drive, and I have tried completely filling the cages ...

Closest I got to using the machine was popping in a 3200 and pulling the top cage's (3) SCSI cable from the MB and putting it in the 3200 ... I was able to then use SmartStart to configure the array ... I booted FreeBSD to install it, but then it lost the CDRom drive ... weird ... but that was just to test the box, I wouldn't have left it that way ...

Surely I am missing something getting the existing internal SCSI controllers to work ... They're not mentioned anywhere in the SmartStart configuration, just 3 PCI HotSwap devices ... (For PCI HotSwap cards) ... Hopefully there is a simple solution?

Why would you want to use the internal controllers to run the HDD's when they don't support RAID?

Neill

I want the machine to work properly before I even start playing with the configuration.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back