Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Proliant 800 -- discontinued?

Status
Not open for further replies.

clford

Programmer
Dec 30, 1998
US
My LAN Staff has recently configured a Proliant 800 for my project. "Someone" claims that this is a bottom of the line server, even that it has been discontinued. Naturally, the LAN Staff claims this is bogus. I don't see the 800 offered for sale on COMPAQ's web site, but see it on other resellers sites. Can anyone give me feedback on this? Thanks!

I have one Proliant 800 server working very well. It is a lower level Proliant,but I would'nt exactly call it a low end server.It is more of a workgroup server.

OK, here is the scoop. The Proliant is a workgroup server, which means that it is meant for specific applications and a smaller number of users. Compaq certainly makes less-expensive "entry-level" servers such as the Proliant 200 and the Prosignia series of servers. Having used both entry-level and enterprise-level servers from Compaq, the last term I would apply to any of them would be "bottom of the line".<br>
<br>
The Proliant 800 series has not been discontinued however there is a model that has been "retired" (Compaqs term for discontinued). The Proliant 800 6/200 has been retired however the 6/350, 6/350e, 6/400 and 6/400 are going stong. For confirmation data, just so you have something to show, the information you can get is at:<br>
It contains product info on all of Compaqs servers including a section on retired hardware.

Also the proliant line does not start getting Fault tolerant until u get to the 1600 and above....So there is limited fault tolerance in the 800.....(NHP for one)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back