Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ProLiant 6500

Status
Not open for further replies.

ray157fa

Technical User
Jan 10, 2005
US
I just purchased a used 6500. The power supply works however no fans come anywhere in the system. The error lights tend to indicate a misc. cable error. I have plugged in the misc. cable then I get a group of error lights that indicate a memory board problem. I would really appreciate any advice. Also, I do not have any manuals at this time. I am looking for those too!

You will get the manuals on the HP site if you select Support and Drivers then Support and Troubleshooting info on the HP homepage.

First step would really be to remove and reseat everything.
Also check for system interlocks, can't remember if the 6500 will work without the top cover for instance.

If you are getting error lights you are at least getting power to the system board and unlike the 6000 and 7000 there is no separate CPU board on there as such.

Neill

Are you getting any error readouts on the LCD panel on the front of the server? I know my server will not power up if the fans are not running. Be sure you check the 4 hot swappable fans up front to be sure they are seated well and in operable condition. Also check all the interlocks. I had some similar problems with my 6500. I dismantled it as far as possible, blew the dust off everything, and reassembled. No problems since then. By dismantling.. remove psu's, remove drives, remove drive cage, remove CPU's, remove memory board, remove pci cards. clean and reassemble. Good luck!!!

J.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back