Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Proliant 6000 adding bigger HDD question

Status
Not open for further replies.

cdentff

Technical User
Jan 3, 2003
CA
Hey,

I have an old quad CPU PL6000 sitting that I want to add bigger drives to. Every thing is running of a Smart Array 3100 or 3200 card(s) I can't remember which or how many. From the documentation options I see 9.1GB (I have these), 18.2GB, and 36.4GB Wide Ultra SCSI 3 HDDs. Can I add bigger non-Compaq HDDs to the server? I have cages from my full compliment of 9.1GB to use, so can I just add bigger drives or what? I've always have added Compaq/HP parts to my Compaq/HP servers, but on an old box like this, I'd be more than willing to stray. I've also thought about using the chassis to run an array of SATA drives, but that would be a TON of work, likely near impossible...

Thanks for the help in advance.

One of the symptoms of an approaching nervous breakdown is the belief that one's work is terribly important.~B.Russell~
/.Chris

We've added bigger drives into Compaq HD trays: I think we used Fujitsu, mainly because the Compaq drives at that time were mostly rebadged Fujitsu. However, any SCSI drives with the correct connector should work.

You may need to update the SoftPaq (firmware) for the controllers though, especialy if you are going to 72GB or larger drives.

Regards: tf1

I added 4x seagate 146gb drives to a 5500 with 3200 controller without any problems...

Hey,

Thanks for the replies. This is what I was hoping. Good news for me, I might actually be able to make use of this old box. With sizable drives, I might be able to salvage it afterall. However, at 14U tall, it is a rack-eating behemoth!

Anybody know of a good source of bulk drives for decent prices?

These older drives are getting harder to find, at least ones of any significant size... Lots of old 9.1GB drives floating about, but I'd like to get much bigger ones.

Thanks again,

/.Chris

Try finding 36gb, 50gb or 72gb drives from an EMC Symmetrix box.
The drives are Seagate (or IBM) SCSI and will work fine in the Compaq trays. The used market is flooded with these drives.
Contact me and I'll get you pointed in the right direction.

estes dot tim at gmail dot com

Tim

eBay is often a good source.

Regards: tf1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back