Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Proliant 350 server acronis true image 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 25, 2004
US
I have a Proliant 350 server with 36gb HDD mirrored on one controller 641. I am running out of space. My client doent want to add a new controller and add drives.
I am planning to do the following
Image the current system using Acronis true image
Pull out the current drives 36gb from server
Add 73gb HDD.
Restore the image back on the 73gb HDD
Is this the correct way to do this
Please advice
thanks
Sam

Yes, basically..
Run chkdsk/defrag on the present drives, then create the image, then restore the image with the option to use the full size of the new drive. If the client does not want to go for a second 73 to create a raid 1, he is setting you up for failure. If you do not run chkdsk, the image is likely to fail in restoration if errors were present on original drives.

How I do it..
Attach an SATA drive to onboard SATA interface, clone the present array to the SATA, shut down,pull old array, add new drive(s), create new array, be it raid 0 /raid 1/raid 5, reverse clone from sata drive.

Chernobyl disaster..a must see pictorial

Thanks technome. Will follow your instructions. If the 73gb doesnt work, I guess I can put back the working 36GB??
thanks again
Sam

One more question- Urgent
Cant I just repace 36G with 73gb and let it rebuilt. Once it is rebuilt change the other 36gb with 73gb
Will this work
thanks in advance
Sam

yes, but with raid 1, you will end up with a volume of the same size as the original, and the remaining space 36-73 would be usable only by creating another volume in the raid interface, (unless you have a raid adapter which allows expansion within the raid itself).
Third party partition managers only work at the OS level, they can not minipulated raid volumes. So basically if you want 73 Gig of contiguious space, use the image or cloning as above, if you don't mind 2 volumes which will be two drives in the OS, just replace each drive, ONE at a time allowing for the rebuild to COMPLETE, before replacing the other member drive.

Chernobyl disaster..a must see pictorial

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back