Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Proliant 3000 RAID Controllers 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

MikeHaney

IS-IT--Management
Sep 28, 2005
CA
I've been searching and have not found a decent answer on this one, hoping someone can help. I've got a Proliant 3000 tower that does not have a RAID controller, and from the documentation it supports the 2DH & 2SL controllers...

Can this machine support any other compaq RAID controllers, such as the 3200?

Thanks in advance!

Sure you can. Where I used to work I deployed hundreds of Proliant 3000s in Tower configuration with 3200 array controllers. I believe ours came from the factory that way. Incidentally, you can also use a 3200 in the Proliant 2500. Also believe I had some 5300s in the later model 3000s......

Excellent, thanks for the info summitpcguy. Just one other question however, now that I have the card I notice it only has one 68 pin connector on it, and the drive cages in the 3000 are separated into two cables A/B with 4 drives each.

Is there a method for connecting both cages to the 3200 RAID card? I've got 7 drives in the machine and notice that it supports it in duplex config, but can't find any documentation on how that would work....

Thanks in advance, again!

No problem. I just installed a 3200 in a 3000 myself tonight.

As far as the duplex and simplex drives bay configs:

I am not an expert and haven't worked with thme much in a few years...my memory is that there is a jumper board that connects an upper and lower connector on the left side (if looking from back). This is called a "pass-through" board. By default you get the simplex or "all together" connector. You can get a duplex connector somewhere...eBay or a parts provider....called a "duplex enabler" board.
Then you simply hook the appropriate SCSI cable to each of the ports on the array cage.

Your question on the 3200 is similiar. When we used to get these new in the box and I was building servers they would come with a daughter card that attached to the 3200. One had two ports and one had one. My boss always had us put one connector in. Then we would toss the other. My guess is the same has happened here. You should be able to get the 2 SCSI port daugher card out there somewhere....or another array controller...3200s seems pretty cheap on the auction sites...or just hook one set of drives up to the internal SCSI and raid them from Windows (not my first choice.)

Hopefully this helped. Let me know if you need some more help. While writing this I pulled the cover off of a 3000 and the diagrams on the sticker on the side cover seem to agree with me. I would refrence them.

Good luck.

Thanks for the extra info, but it seems for every answer, there is another question... I've taken the cage out and found the duplex connectors, and there is a board on it that is labelled "Duplex Terminator" and has a 68 pin connector on the back of it.

From the info and pictures I've found online the other board has no 68 pin connector on the back, and is the simplex terminator?

If what I have is the duplex terminator is there anything asides from plugging this terminator in and attaching a SCSI cable between it and the RAID card to make the drives work? I've tried it and the RAID card detects no drives...

From what I understand, all of the SCSI drives ID's and termination are handled by the cage, so I shouldn't have to set any jumpers on them?

Thanks again,
Mike

Not sure how much I can help you...but...
Yes....this is the duplicator board...I think mine says Simplex on it or something...I have never used on, but I think you just need to use the top and bottom SCSI conectors on the back of the drive bay on the right sidfe (looking from back.) In my simplex mode, I just have a single cable connected to the lower of the two...

I just pulled the side panel off of a 3000 and it states that you should reconnect your array controller to the A and B on the drive cage...A is on top and B is on teh bottom. Your array controller must support two seperate array or you need a second array contoller or use built in SCSI. Also, it agrees that the duplex board will have a SCSI looking connector on it and the simplex does not...

I hope this helps...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back