Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Proliant 2500R Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

18phoenix

Technical User
May 20, 2003
US
I recently recieved a compaq proliant 2500R. It's got a smart array with 5 4.3gig drives. i'm trying to install windows 2000 server. it installs fine if i use a fat32 partition, but if i try to change to NTFS and boot it gives me:
disk read error
press ctrl+alt+delete to restart

could someone please help me out.

thanks

Use the SCSI array utility to delete all partitions and redefine them.

If you have a SmartStart CD boot with that and run the system erase utility and it will wipe the server clean and you can start to rebuild then entire thing from scratch. I ran into some wacky problems recently when I tried to remove linux and install W2K, I had to wipe the entire server clean and start from scratch.

Hope this helps

I've seen similar problems when taking a compaq server that had Win2K, and trying to install Novell. Rule of thumb when installing a new OS on a compaq system, system erase first, before anything else. Then use Smartstart to ensure all the options get set correctly for whatever OS you use.

Marv

Marvin Huffaker MCNE, CNE
Marvin Huffaker Consulting

That sounds like it's most likely the operating system type in the BIOS is set incorrectly - it may be that the System ROM is old enough that your OS doesn't appear.... if so get the system flashed up to the current version (which is what CPQ/HP will tell you to do before they start to help you on their helpline) - and when you change it there's a good chance you lose what you've installed so far - but as you've already crashed and burned I don't suppose that's too much of a hardship.

As others have said enter F10 diagnostics and work from there, again it's something worth checking that you have an up to date version of.

To update (or install) you need to download the "System Configuration Utility" Softpaq SP19619(ftp://ftp.compaq.com/pub/softpaq/sp19501-20000/sp19619.exe) from CPQ/HP - while you're there it's probably not a bad thing to download the ROMPaq for the system board, array controller etc and make sure you're on versions known to support the OS you're trying to install.

QuiltedCamel is right onto it. He summarizes all the things can possibly go wrong but since you never replied to any of our suggestion then I think you're doing just fine:).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back