Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Proliant 1600r 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

catbeef

Technical User
Oct 5, 2006
GB
Greetings! I just found this website through google and it seems to be the ideal place to ask this question;

I just bought a proliant 1600r off ebay for £20, it has 2 500mhz p2's, 512mb ram and 5 9.1gb hdds. On picking it up (only a few hours ago!) he told me that windows xp was installed and it was running fine, although because it was connected to his old network it would not login at startup and would require a little bit of hacking in.
No problem I thought, I'll just format the disk and reinstall.

But I have just plugged in a mouse, monitor and keyboard and pressed the power button, beep, boop, chk chk chk, it loads up, the harddrives light up in sequence, the server has a little LCD display panel that displays the progress, checking ram, checking video, all that stuff goes through fine and it sits on the menu screen, "Compaq Proliant 1600, main menu"
But my monitor is just blue, nothing comes up. I've left it running for 15 minutes to see if maybe it was just INCREDIBLY slow or something, but nope.

I tried pressing DEL to bring up bios when I turned it on but it appears this server beast is nothing like my good desktop friend, and I can't find a manual!

So as you can see, I don't know what is wrong, I'm not even really sure how to open the case at this point. But if anyone has any ideas on how to get into windows that would be grand. Thank you!

So you've been driving cars for years, bought a fighter jet so you can drive faster, and you wonder how it works. Seriously, both get you where you want to go but a fighter jet is much more complicated than a car.

Try HP's website for its manuals, CD's, etc. You may need the SmartStart CD to configure the hardware and install an operating system.

Good luck.

Firstly, you do not press Del to get into the "BIOS", you press F10 prior to boot. The Proliant servers work by having SmartStart installed on a system partition on the disk array. If the partition is not there you cannot access it via F10. As already suggested, you can download the SmartStart CD from the HP website and boot off that to get into the server configuration. You will need SmartStart v5.5 or less for the Proliant 1600.

Below is a link to the Proliant 1600 section of the HP website. The drivers are under the "Download Drivers and software" section, then choose an OS like Windows 2000 (XP is not there as the Proliant is a server model, not a workstation), the SmartStart CD is then under the "Software - CD" section:

--------------------------------------
"Insert funny comment in here!"
--------------------------------------

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back