Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Proliant 1600R server wont boot, CD just flashes

Status
Not open for further replies.

vkr00

Programmer
Oct 15, 2008
AU
Hi,

I have a Compaq Proliant 1600R which no longer boots. All seemed fine, and I did an erase from the smartstart CD to reinstall the O/S (which I had already done on multiple occasions).

However, this time on reboot the CD just started to flash and nothing else happened. Teh screen is totally blank and I don't even get the Compaq BIOS message to say the server is starting. I swapped the CD rom, memory and CPU from an identical working server I have but it made no difference. Only when I swapped the entire 'cage' holdig the CPU/memory/etc does it now boot up.

I hope someone can help?

Hi

Sounds like a short circuit or similar which is affecting your 5volts.
CD drive and hard drive will activate(not work) with just the 12 volts - put a multi meter on the power connector to confirm. Could be a problem with the cage, but suspect soemthing is not seated correctly, could be a card, memory or even a motherboard.

Good luck

Dave

Flashing CD light if I recall correctly usually suggests a problem with the CPU sub-system.

In your case it's most likely that the VRM (Voltage Regulator Module) has blown. Cheap enough on e-Bay.

Neill

Nope---100% it's the scsi backplane, located on the back of the drive cage. Seen it multiple times.

Burt

Take it back---95% the scsi backplane, 5% the ROC chip (RAID onboard controller).

Burt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back