Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Proliant 1600R running XP Pro

Status
Not open for further replies.

vincelewin

IS-IT--Management
May 16, 2002
GB
Hi all,

I have just bought a 1600R Pro-liant off of Ebay, £40...Dual 450's nearly a gig o Ram and five 4 gig drives. I am currently running XP Pro on it and was wondering if anyone could explain why, or how to correct, my dual 450 are not showing in XP.

Even under system properties xp show the machine as a single 450 P2 with 768MB ram.

I have done all Ms updates and looked on Hp's website but havent found anything relating to this.

Any comments would be helpfull i'm sure.

Kind Regards

Vince

does it pysically have the 2nd processor, or is it just enabled for 2nd processor, the spec of a system doesn't always mean it has the hardware it appears to have.

Also, SP2 + additional updates are required, but you say you have these, if thats the case its more likely hardware/system config at bios/system utility level which is failing you.

Info in case anyone should google their way here with a similar query
ms link for multi processors

Karver,

I have physically checked that both the power module and processors are in place.

I checked the bios and both processors are listed. I cannot see any option that would disable or enable a processor.

I have removed and re-seated them both.

Really strange.
Thanks for any help

Vince

Try going into device manager, computer. Right click on ACPI or MPS Uniprocessor PC and update driver. Select multi-processor and install that. It should then pick up the 2nd CPU, even if it doesn't it will still run.

Also go into F10 then hit ctrl-A to go into advanced mode. You should then see more options in the settings menu one of which if I remember correctly is APIC mode, it should be set to full map. (This is from memory)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back