Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Proliant 1600 wont POST

Status
Not open for further replies.

dee16

Technical User
Jun 11, 2003
NZ
Hi,

One of our "junior techs" decided it would be a good idea to swap the motherboards on 2 different proliants. After swapping the MB, the screen briefly displayed some garbage caracters and went black. Now after putting the orginal MB back the computer wont POST (screen is black).
The hardware has been removed and reseated 3 times and it still wont POST.
My guess is the BIOS has become corrupted, is there a way to clear the BIOS? Does anyone have any other suggestions?
Any help will be most appreciated.

Thanks heaps

-Dee

There is a disaster recovery mode that involves setting a couple of dip switches and booting from the firmware floppy which will reflash the system.

However I can't remember which switches and I'm not near my notes to find out.

hey any luck on this? i have accuired a "dead" processor cage, i think it may be the same problem (or more likely im using in compatible ram)

System configuration DIP switch should be set to: 1=on, 4=on, 5=on, 6=on. (Take note of previous settings).
Insert RomPaq diskette and power on.

Wait for a beep code that signifies end of ROM upgrade, this may take up to 5 minutes and there is unlikely to be any video output during disaster recovery."

Paraphrased from my notes.

Neill

I've had this problem with 1600's AND 2500's. I found that cleaning the contacts on the processor cage and re-seating the cage worked. Try that before you flash, if possible. I know you were asking a couple of weeks ago.

Iolair MacWalter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back