Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Proliant 1600. Upgrade from P2 to P3 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mat2000

Technical User
Mar 6, 2005
GB
Can I remove the Pentium II's and VRM's from a Proliant 1600 and replace them with PIII's?

...well I went ahead and tied it.

The server had two Pentium II 400MHz processors in it, and I had a dead P3 proliant. So I swapped in the VRM's and the two Pentium III 550MHz chips, changed the dipswitches to match the dead board and amazingly it booted up.

The POST screen reports the speed correctly, but I've not yet manaed to test to see if the system thinks that they are indeed P3's or just faster P2's.

So, short answer: it works
Second part is: Is this wise?

When the unit boots does it list the processors correctly as PIII 550's?

The only thing I noticed about upgrading the processors was that the 550 and 600mhz processors needed a "thermal kit" according to the underside of one of the removable casings, not sure exactly what that contains but it might be just a larger heat sink.

Note:

Sry I see that you wrote it did report the processors correctly.

Thermal kit? Oops, that could be a problem.

Hopefully that is just the heatsinks, and as these processors are from a P3 Proliant already, they have a big silver heatsink on them, rather than the smaller black ones on the P2's. With luck this is ok.

The chips are reported by their speed only, the POST screen does not ID them as either P2's or P3's. From memory, I think it says something like "2 processors installed, Family 6, 550MHz"

Trying the same thing, however cannot find info on dipswitch settings above 500 mhz and I have a pair of p3-600's I want to install, manuals etc I have and found on hp or compaq sites only list upto 450 or 500.

Can you tell me the processor core switch settings for the processor board you used ?

Also tried to install 2 sets of compaq (correct part numbers) ECC reg.d PC100 256mb ram, didn't boot, re-tried in various configurations with previously working non ECC dimms - it occasionally saw and started up ok with 1 or 2 of the new dimms plus 2 of the original 128 mb dimms, finally wouldn't boot with any of the new dimms, after a day messing around I ordered a new ML350 3.2, but I still want to get the PL1600 which has served us faithfully for 8 years as backup server.

Any help would be strongly enormously appreciated.

All the best from Monaco.

When I did it, I set the P2 board to the settings of the P3, and the P3 board to the settings on the P2. I didnt have a pen handy and doing it this way would allow me to switch it back if it went wrong.

This means I cant check the settings on the P3 board for you, and as the processor boards dont actually seem to like being removed, I dont want to down the server and pull the board to find them.

I do however remember, that all the switches were off, apart from one. I think it's off,off,on,off. But I'm not sure. I'll find a way to check it and get back to you (I may be able to see the switches with just the top cover removed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back