Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Proliant 1600 RAID

Status
Not open for further replies.

IS-IT--Management
Aug 14, 2002
HK
I have Proliant 1600 Pentium II with 4 x 18.2GB HD, if I want to have RAID configuration, what must I prepared ?

Regards,
Donny

Assuming that this is a new install, the easiest way to install any OS is through the SmartStart setup off of CD. It will allow you to flash the BIOS, erase the disks, establish the RAID configuration, and install the OS. Its simple and straightforward.

You have several choices for RAID - 5, 0, 5 with hot swap. I would suggest the hot swap option unless you absolutely need the drive space. It will keep one drive out of the array in case of failure. If a drive fails, the hot swap will take over, preserving (hopefully)your Data. Keep in mind that RAID stripes data across all the drives assigned to it, so one drive essentially is a parity drive. Thus if you use all 4 18 Gb drives in the array and assign one as a hot swap, you will have 36 GB of drive space, not 54.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back