Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Proliant 1600 not booting Smartstart CD

Status
Not open for further replies.

byteya

Technical User
Nov 6, 2001
US
Oh no. When I was rebuilding a server with the SmartStart CD the server locked up (was selecting Server OS at the time). I powered down the server and back on and it refuses to boot to the CD. I even booted to a floppy with the system erase program on it and wiped out the system again, but it still doesn't try to boot the CD.

Got any ideas for me? Thanks.

*J*

Is your CD drive definately working ie. it didn't fail did it? Also, check the connections inside the server to ensure they are connected ok. -----------------------------------------------------
"It's true, its damn true!"
-----------------------------------------------------

Same has happened to me ! - doesnt recognise any boot device (cd, floppy or HD ) I dont even get the keyboard check just a completeley blank screen system is totalled !

If you have a DOS boot disk, try booting from that. If successful, you will have to download the System Erase utility from the Compaq website and run it from Floppy Disk.

This will obviously erase all of the system config on the server! -----------------------------------------------------
"It's true, its damn true!"
-----------------------------------------------------

I lost the ability to boot from CD following a Compaq 1600 system erase. We ran the system configuration utility from floppy, and then setup the array. Magically,,,, on the next boot,,,, it quite happily booted from the CD. Que pasa????

I have had that happen when the CDROM is not plugged into the right controller port that the system has tagged as the "first" or bootable controller. The system configuration utility sets up the device and sets it to be bootable. *J*

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back