Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

proliant 1600 insight board replacement 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

f86sabrejet

Technical User
Jan 20, 2009
GB
hi, new to this forum so please be gentle. :)
netware v3.12 failed to boot due to insight board error, on testing with compaq diags the insight board battery failed,changed battery and made sure it had reached 7.2v (the printed rating on pack) still fails diags, so changed insight board and used two different battery packs charged up to 7.2v and still fails diags and halts netware with abend error.
any suggestions would be appreciated.
thanks
martin.

Replace the board. Hell, I would ditch that old beast...

Burt

If you wern't running NetWare 3.12 I would also suggest getting rid of the doorstop 1600 but have you tried the Insight Board in a different PCI slot (if one is available)? I presume the server boots ok without the Insight Board?

Out of pure interest, why are you still using Netware 3.12?

--------------------------------------
"Insert funny comment in here!"
--------------------------------------

thanks burtsbees, if it was mine i would!
also thanks to The Lad, I tried different slot with same result and even after running config with two different new insight boards still fails diags with insight battery eror, awaiting new I/O card to see if that helps. as for netware v3.12 they are very clingy to systems that do the job and give little trouble (comparatively) or maybe they're just tight fisted!
thanks
martin

The other things I have seen fail in these boxes are the ROC chip (RAID), SCSI backplane and CPU fan. Those servers were good around the time of DOS or Windows 3.1, but in the past few years, I have seen a few of these (as well as the DL380 G1's) fail with these parts---the 380 G1 uses most of the same internal parts (scsi backplane, cpu fan, ROC, etc) as the PL1600.

Burt

thanks for the help, turned out not to be insight board faulty, the health check reports faults to insight board and stops system but if no insight board then lets system carry on booting so that one thinks insight board is problem. the fault was actually cured by stripping all boards and connectors, reassembling and starting up with all devices present.
so if it doesn't work then 'it it wiv an 'ammer! :)
cheers
martin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back