Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Proliant 1600 fails to power up

Status
Not open for further replies.

wallydogking

IS-IT--Management
Sep 9, 2005
GB
Hello all,

I'm in a bit of a bind on this one. I have a Proliant 1600 with Dual PII, and 1GB RAM, 4 x 9.1GB Hard Drives.

I have recently moved the server (carefully) and now the server fails to power up. I thought at first it was the switch itself but having replaced that it still does not power up.

When you plug in all 3 power supplies the fans all come on (on the power supplies). When you press the power switch the light comes on, all the fans power up, the lights on the drives come on... but all only for a second. If left to sit, the server will do the same thing again after about 15 - 20 seconds.

I have removed all of the components, including the CPU board, the PCI/ISA board, the power supplies, the RAID controller, the hard drives, the CD-ROM, the Floppy, and fully cleaned the entire system. I then plugged in each devices one by one until the power came on. It still does the same thing.

I have a back up of the server, but only one server....

Any help at all would be much appreciated.

wally

Sounds stupid, but can you take the server back to it's original location and see if it works? Reason being that you may have power issues in the new location?

-----------------------------------------------------
"It's true, its damn true!"
-----------------------------------------------------

I can't do that unfortunately. Its 300 Miles away.

But I am already running the rest of the gear no problem. That includes 3 desktops, a laptop, a laser printer, 2 routers, a wireless hub, and a DSL router.

I did consider that, but I also checked, and the place was totally re-wired less than 2 years ago.

I have found that the CPU / memory cage on 1600's is VERY finicky about being moved. I did a RAM upgrade on one once where it took me about ten goes of removing and reinserting it before it would power up consistently.

Neill

My cages are certainly very very stiff. I'll have a go at getting them in better.

Thanks for the tip.

btw: what did yours do when it wouldn't power up?

Same as yours I think.

Can't really remember though, I got it working again and haven't breathed on the hardware for 18 months just in case. :-D

Did you try plugging 2 of the 3 power supplies, try them in combination. It could be one of them is causing problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back