Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Proliant 1600 additional IDE harddisk

Status
Not open for further replies.

timomeinen

Technical User
Apr 5, 2005
DE
Hi,

I know Compaq says the IDE controller will only support IDE drives like cd-roms. Anyhow, is there a chance of getting a harddisk work with the integrated IDE controller?

My RAID is full - so I am searching for a cheap (IDE harddisk laying under my bed :) storage solution. Are there any other options?

Will an additional IDE controller work?

Thank you
Timo Meinen
meinen@gmx.de

I recently added an 80g IDE drive to a Proliant 1850. I used the F10 bios screens to check/enable it and notice that it stated right there that it did not support IDE hard drives ('fixed disks' it actually said)

Unpeturbed, I exited those screens and let the server boot up, the drive shows, nothing errors in the event logs and it works just fine.

No idea about an IDE card tho, but I see no reason why it wouldnt work - the only issues would be space and heat.

Compaq say that they do not support "fixed disks" but that does not mean it does not work. It just means they offer no support on them if you have a problem getting one working

-----------------------------------------------------
"It's true, its damn true!"
-----------------------------------------------------

Thank you. I will try to install a disk next week and will give a report. :)

Timo

Ok,

after a lot of experiments with the IDE configuration I finally got a 80 Gb harddisk running on the Proliant 1600. Here my experience-report:

System: Compaq Proliant 1600r
HD: IBM DTLA 307075 76.8 Gb

After installing the HD in the server I launched the "F10-System-Software" and checked hardware and configuration information. The HD wasn't stated and an infotext says, that the server isn't able to run HDs, like Mat2000 reported.

Ok, rebooting the system and running SuSE's Yast setup tool the hd-partition-program listed the previously installe raid as /dev/ida and the new hd at /dev/hdb. You see, I tried to install it as slave in addition to the cdrom drive. But it was detected as a 125 MB drive. :-(

I found out, that it is recognized as 80 Gb drive, when installed as master exclusivly. I could create a new partition and it works just fine.

But, when I connect the cdrom drive to the IDE controller the system can't access the harddisk. I tried every combination

HD Master CD Slave
HD Slave CD Master
HD Cable CD Cable

The only thing it works is to remove the cdrom and run the harddisk alone.

One minor problem is that I can't activate DMA for this drive.

Any ideas regarding the CD-problem?

Thanks a lot
Timo Meinen
meinen@gmx.de

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back