Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Proliant 1000 (3121)

Status
Not open for further replies.

juiced

Technical User
Apr 8, 2007
CA
Hi there,

I know this is a relic of a machine but it was free! :)

Actually i have two of them.

One is fully loaded and runs dos/netware 3

The other just had a couple drives and is running with NT

I want to host my own site as im tired of the reliability of most hosts ive dealt with.

So far the only thing i know of that i dont use is flash but i could be mistaken.

Im thinking of reinstalling NT on the one with it already and loading drives as i need them onto the rack. Ive read that it may be better to use both boxs to keep things smooth.

I havent run anything like a server since 92 when i had a bbs.

Im also not sure if the current software setup is really the best idea. I need Sql, PHP and javascript as well as cgi i think.

Im not that experianced to begin with so i think this will be quite the project.

To be honest, you'd probably be better off running your website on a Windows XP Pro PC running IIS than trying to get this relic running an OS. I don't think NT comes with IIS as standard so you'd be left with Windows 2000/2003 which will have difficulty running on this spec of server.

--------------------------------------
"Insert funny comment in here!"

why would i need IIS if NT was built for networking?

for all the reasons i would have thought i might not be able to do this, that one came from left field.

Not too mention it already runs NT...

Now personally i would prefer to have the site running off a laptop because the power consumption is low and i can run the lappy from solar (i sell wind & solar).

You need IIS to host your own site. Without IIS (or an equivalent) you cannot host a website on any OS. IIS comes as standard with Windows XP (although you have to specify to install it) so your laptop route may be a more suitable option to take. But bear in mind that if your website is getting a heck of a lot of traffic, a laptop will not be a sufficient solution.

"Insert funny comment in here!"

Just a thought.

Depending on what your time is worth to you, you may be better off getting a workstation with a couple of mirrored drives, dual-core processor and a bunch of RAM. When you aren't working on it shut off the monitor to save power.

You could spend a lot of time trying to get everything running on the 1000, but even then it may not run well. If you are using it for business purposes, people have higher expectations and lower patients these days. Too many people have high speed internet and are no longer willing to wait like they did with dial-up. So, by saving a few bucks here, you could be costing yourself in sales.

If this is just for fun, then give it a shot. You learn more and have a greater sense of achievement when you have to put a little effort into it.

To get IIS on NT4 you need to install the NT4 option pack. Not easy to get hold of anymore.

Neill

You can always download a low-end Linux distro and run Apache as your webserver. I have an old Proliant 1500 running Redhat 5.2 as a dev box. A tad slow but otherwise do-able

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back