Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Project XP Cannot Open Project 97 File

Status
Not open for further replies.

sirragu

IS-IT--Management
Jan 7, 2005
US
I have several projects that were saved with Microsoft 98. Our company has moved on to Project XP. We no longer have a 98 version. XP says is should be able to open these, but it doesn't. Is there anyway to salvage these projects?

You probably have to take the Project 98 files and convert to Project 2000 then to Project XP. I have found Project will not usually let you skip Versions when you convert files.
Carla

Project XP? No such thing.

Please choose from: Project 2000, 2002 and 2003; standard, pro, server.

When you say "XP says is should be able to open these, but it doesn't." please give the exact error message you are receiving.

Sorry, you are correct, it is 2003. I upgraded from Windows 98 to XP. Got confused. The Message is:

Project cannot open the file.

Check that the file name and path are correct.
Check that the file format is recognized by Project.
Project files saved in a version earlier than Project 98 can't be opened.

Thanks

Uh oh.

(Don't you just hate those words.)

You might have a file corruption problem. Look at the size of the file compared with other project files that have a similar number of tasks/resources/assignments.

If the file seems bloated then:
1. use P98 to open the file\
2. save it as an MPD (Project Database -- *not* Access database)
3. exit Project98
4. Start P98
5. Open the MPD file
6. Save it as an MPP file

The other possibility (remote, but a possibility) has to do with password protection. I recall (dim, distant past) something about an incompatibility between projects saved in P98 with a password and then opened in P2003.

Let me know what happens.

Thanks PDQ,

I have several P98 files and P2003 won't open any of them. There was not a password on any of them. The problem is I don't have P98. These were create at work in 1999 when that was the standard. We have moved on to P2003. That's what happens when "Corporate IS" is in control. Aren't standards and technology great!! Anyone still have a P98 disk?

I do.

I'm kinda busy for the next couple of days. I'll get back to you.

Try sending me a file. Put "4100" at the end of my name and send it to me at myhotmail address.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back